Thursday, August 22, 2013

Back to School Organizing!



The kids are back to school and the house looks like a tornado went through it.  Anyone else have this problem?  One of my goals for this school year is to do a better job organizing my home.  No more messes, no more frantic cleaning before guests come over, no more extra stuff.  I want to have a routine for things to make life easier.  I also want to help my children learn how to better help around the house (we'll see how that one goes). 

So, the past few days I have been cleaning and cleaning and cleaning.  And then my family comes home and messes it up!  (enter scream here) I went to town organizing my "command center" for back to school.  Hopefully I won't miss any appointments or activities now! 

Here is what my space looked like before... Complete with paint sample swatch painted on the wall! 


 
 
And here is all the crap that I pulled off my workspace... I should have logged and counted all the random things I had sitting in my organizer. It was impressive. Oh yeah!
 
 
I bought a Martha Stewart desktop organizer at Staples several months ago and it has been put to use in our kitchen.  It lives on a counter/workspace with the telephone and my pens and pencils.  The only problem is that I was not very disciplined with what I used it for.  It became a catch all, and that was not my goal. 
 
 
Isn't it pretty?  I heart it so! Martha Stewart rocks my face off. 
 
I also used some file folders to organize incoming papers, which generally end up in a giant pile on the counter. 
 

 
From the top I have a folder for the cat, the dog, my kiddos for their incoming school papers, a folder for items to file and a folder for the budget.  In the budget folder, I put all of our incoming receipts so we can track our spending.
 


We bought a 6 pack of these cork placemats at Ikea, and I used one to put on the wall for my daily schedule and some items I don't want to forget - like RSVPs and gift cards.  




Above is my home management binder.  I love it!  I put it together maybe 6 months ago and have been tweaking it so I can use it better.  I will share that with you further in another post. Here is a glimpse so you get an idea.  Nothing fancy, but I don't need fancy, I need functional. 
 
 
I purchased two accordion style mini files at Tarjay in the dollar bins to use to organize receipts and coupons.  They are fantastic!  I have loved the simplicity of them and it takes just a minute to log and file things.
 

 
Here is the inside of the receipt file.  I have the tabs categorized according to our spending categories. 
 
 
Nemo is supervising the photo shoot below. :)



 
Another wonderful tool that I bought in the dollar bins at Tarjay as well is this day of the week notepad.  Here I write down my to do list for the day including any phone calls I need to make.  It has helped me so much this week!  Hopefully these things are still available for purchase so you can go out and buy your own, but I am sure there are similar items at dollar stores and other big box stores.  


 
Here is my finished workspace!  I am giving myself a pat on the back, and am committing to actually keep it organized and use it for my intended purpose.  
 
 
OOOOOOOOH!  AHHHHHHHH!  So pretty.  It makes me smile with organizing glee!
 


 
The drawer by the way holds extra page protectors, business card holders and file folders.  All at my convenience. 


 
A few photos of my newly designed and organized workspace!  Kindly ignore my paint swatch.  Thank you for your cooperation. 
 



Happy Thursday and Happy organizing!  What are you doing to get organized at your house?
 
Love and blessings,
 
Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment